For a healthy, light summer dish, give this recipe a go. It’s a great option during pregnancy and features plenty of fresh, seasonal ingredients such as tomatoes and peppers. If you’re heading out and about, it’s quick to put together and can be kept in a lunch box for family picnics or solo park lunches.
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp medium fajita spice mix
- 6 mini chiquino peppers
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
- 1 lime, halved
- 3tbsp soured cream
- 150g pearl barley or quick cook farro
- Place the chicken breasts between two pieces of cling film and bash with a rolling pin until they’re about ½ cm thick.
- Brush with the olive oil, then sprinkle with the spice mix.
- Heat a griddle pan and cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through.
- Add the chiquino peppers to the griddle pan with the chicken and cook for 10-12 minutes, until softened and griddle lines appear.
- Meanwhile cook the pearl barley as instructed on the pack, then drain and spoon into two bowls.
- Slice the chicken and arrange over the pearl barley in sections with the tomatoes, onion, avocado and peppers.
- Squeeze over the lime then spoon on the soured cream.
TIP – If you’re pushed for time, try using farro instead of pearl barley for a quicker cooking time